Audience: Grades 3-8 and 9-12
Length: Full Day Workshop
This workshop will provide the participants with strategies on how to transform their classrooms into rich, engaging and authentic writing environments while carving a niche for PARCC writing expectations and test preparation. This workshop is for grades 3 – 12.
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Create a balance between writing workshop and PARCC prep work within their curriculum calendars and pacing guides that is fluid and connected to previous learning.
- Understand the goals in a writing workshop framework that encourage high-quality writing.
- Understand the relationship between Common Core, the teaching of writing and PARCC expectations in writing.
- Learn how performance assessments and learning progressions guide future writing instruction.
- Learn how “elaboration in writing” in a writing workshop model will have a significant impact in preparing students for PARCC writing expectations.
The content of this workshop will be based on the works of the following:
Lucy Calkins – Founding Director of TCRWP and co-author of Units of Study in Opinion, Information and Narrative Writing
Carl Anderson – Author of Assessing Writers, and How’s It Going?
Karen Caine – Author of Writing to Persuade
Mary Ehrenworth – Co-author of Pathways to the Common Core