Audience: Grades K-5 and 6-12
Length: Half or Full Day Workshop
This workshop will provide the participants with take-away strategies and “look fors” to support close reading strategies in grades K-5 and 6-12.
By the end of the workshop the participant will be able to:
- Understand the role of close reading strategies and how it relates to the Common Core standards
- Understand what close reading means on an instructional level.
- Learn close reading strategies and lesson development across content areas via text, media and life.
- Participants will close read non-fiction and fiction texts. Modeling on how to close read with repeated readings through different lenses will take place.
- Steps to close reading will be discussed.
- Close reading through interactive read alouds will be modeled.
- Participants will have resources and strategies to take back to their classrooms.
The content for this workshop is based on the work of Chris Lehman, author of Falling in Love with Close Reading, TBQ-Text Based Questions, by Douglas Fisher and Fry and the book Notice and Note by Beers and Provost. This will be an interactive and engaging workshop for the participants.