Audience: Grades K-5 and 6-12
Length: Half or Full Day Workshop
During this workshop teachers will learn how to:
- Distinguish between a coaching, compliment and research-decide-transfer conference in writing.
- Develop the skill of knowing what to teach and how to teach during a writing conference.
- Understand and practice the 5 qualities of formative feedback.
- Transferring the strategy through gradual release of responsibility to ensure the student is doing the work through a mini-lesson.
- Learn the architecture of a mini-lesson during a writing conference.
The content of this workshop is based on the work of Carl Anderson’s, How’s It Going? and One to One – The Art of Conferring with Young Writers by Lucy Calkins.